Packing for a semester or year abroad can be challenging. Especially when you have that gut feeling that you must be forgetting something! That’s why we’ve put together a handy printable checklist of the items you will need for your journey. This list includes many items that are obvious, but also some things you might not think of. When it comes to packing, especially for a tour with Up with People where you travel to a new city every week, less is more. We recommend taking only one checked bag and a backpack or duffel bag for daily use.
The following is a suggested pre-departure study abroad packing checklist. Up with People study abroad students will also receive a printable pdf with some additional items to pack from their Up with People counselor.
To Download And Print The Following Study Abroad Packing List Click Here.
STUDY ABROAD PACKING LIST
- Originals & one photocopy of the following important documents (and leave a second photocopy at home)
- Your Passport (must be valid for at least six months after the completion of the program), photocopy the photo page and all critical document information
- Your tourist visa(s), if applicable
- Your credit or debit card(s) – front and back
- Your health insurance card or certificate – front and back
- Your driver’s license or other primary photo identification
- Prescription glasses/contacts
- Medications and prescriptions you take regularly
- Alarm clock (battery operated or solar; not a plug-in clock)
- A watch or time-telling device
- Plug adaptor(s) for electrical items (check for international voltage and electrical outlet information)
- Toiletries – toothpaste/brush, shampoo, soap, deodorant, sanitary items
- Water Bottle
- Host family thank you cards (if you are staying in host families like participants in Up with People)
- Personal items to share about you & your home with host families
- Camera, camera battery and charger
- Technology: cell phone, laptop, tablet and/or e-reader
- Underwear (two weeks’ worth)
- Socks (two weeks’ worth plus a pair or two of wool socks)
- Thermal underwear
- Long sleeve shirts
- Short sleeve shirts
- Sweatshirt/ hoodie (2-3)
- Jeans/ Khakis (2-3 pair)
- A belt or two
- Tunic shirts or dresses (for girls)
- A set or two of workout clothes
- Swimsuit (for those going to warmer climates)
- Coat/Jacket (We recommend at least 2 – one for cold weather, and one that is water resistant)
- At least one nice outfit for formal occasions
- Flip flops/ sandals of some sort
- Sneakers/ dress shoes/ boots/ rain boots
- Cold weather gear (i.e. gloves/ mittens, hat, scarf)
For more information about Up with People’s multi-country study abroad program visit UpWithPeople.org.
Questions? Click Here To Contact Up with People.
Topics: Study Abroad
Up with People is a global education organization which aims to bring the world together through service and music. The unique combination of international travel, service learning, leadership development and performing arts offers young adults an unparalleled study abroad experience and a pathway to make a difference in the world, one community at a time. Click here to learn more about the internationally acclaimed program, Up with People.
Comment On this Blog Below:
- 11 Scholarships To Fund Your Study Abroad or Gap Year Adventure
- Young People Unite for Positive Change: Up with People Youth Programs Growing at Record Pace!
- MEET THE CAST MONDAY: Rodrigo from Mexico
- How Countries Celebrate Independence Day Around The World
- MEET THE CAST MONDAY: Taylor from Illinois, United States
- A Letter from the President & CEO
- MEET THE CAST MONDAY: Lucien from RI, United States
- Father and Son Travel To Kosovo