In addition to our strong experiential learning and workshop-based curriculum, Up with People’s optional academic credit program offers a great opportunity for students on tour!
- Earn 12 university credits (three, 4-credit classes) while traveling, and still participate in all aspects of the tour
- Program is delivered through a partnership with Florida Southern College (FSC)
- Transcripts for transfer credit will be issued by FSC
- Fee of $950 to participate in the academic credit program
- Some colleges/universities allow you to apply financial aid toward your Up with People program costs, so check with your home school
Requirements for participation:
- Gap Year students
– Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on 4.0 scale (or equivalent) upon high school graduation
- University students
– Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on 4.0 scale (or equivalent) upon completion of most recent semester
– Approval to study abroad from home school
- University graduates
– College/university degree or diploma
- International students (or Non-Native English Speakers)
– In addition to the above requirements, if English is not your first language then you must provide evidence of prior participation in an English-language program, or demonstrate proficiency through the TOEFL (score 550 paper exam; 79 internet exam or above) or IELTS exam (score 6.0 or above).
What does the academic credit program look like while on tour?
Courses are taught in a blended learning format: a combination of face-to-face class time with the professors, and online course methods like discussion boards and Skype calls. You will use Florida Southern College’s portal system for communicating with professors and turning in assignments.
- The coursework assignments directly align with what is happening on tour, and is spread over the full UWP semester, rather than the standard 15-week semester of a typical university program. This makes the week-by-week academic workload slightly lighter, which is necessary because the UWP program is an intense tour with a very full schedule.
- Academic program students are required to tour with a laptop computer with camera, microphone, and USB port. A tablet is acceptable as long as it meets the requirements above, and an external keyboard is highly recommended. Students are required to purchase course texts, available in e-books.
For those cast members electing to participate in the Academic Credit Option, your semester starts with 3-5 days of in-person classroom sessions with two professors from FSC. You will then move into your regular Up with People schedule, with one day each week (approximately 6 hours of work time) dedicated to the academic program. Most students complete their assignments and required reading during this allocated time. The purpose of providing this time is to limit the amount of studying taking place in host families’ homes. Students may request additional study time during the operational week as needed.
Learn about our Academic Course Offerings for both July and January.
View additional Up with People academic partnerships.
Accepted Cast Members – apply here for the academic credit option.
View our complete curriculum guide here. (PDF)