Celebrate Random Acts of Kindness Day on February 17th! A random act of kindness is a non-premeditated, inconsistent action designed to offer kindness towards the outside world. It is a random and unexpected good deed which will surprise those on the receiving end of the act. It’s easy to lose hope in a world full of bad news. Faith in humanity seems to be at an all time low. But we are inspired by the young people Up with People gets to meet and send out into the world every semester. We know first hand that small acts of kindness do matter. Not sure how to get started? Here are some fantastic ideas to help you change the world one small act at a time.
- Wheel Out Your Neighbors Trash Bin
- Pay For a Stranger’s Coffee
- Shovel Snow From Your Neighbors Sidewalk
- Plant a Tree
- Write a Positive Sticky Note To a Coworker to Make Their Day
- Send an Encouraging Email, Text or Letter to Someone You Know Who is Struggling Through a Tough Time
- Add Kindness to Your Curriculum (It’s an important part of our curriculum here at Up with People!)
- Top Off Someone’s Parking Meter
- Be Polite While You Drive
- Let Someone Cut in Front Of You in Line
- Leave a Big Tip and a Kind Note to a Particularly Good Server
- Ask a Senior About Their Past
- Pick Up Litter at The Beach or in the Forest
- Buy a Movie Ticket For the Person Behind You
- Thank an Old Teacher With a Gift
- Pay For a Stranger’s Gas
- Pay For a Stranger’s Dinner
- Hold the Elevator
- Bring in Food or Snacks For Your Office Mates
- Ride Your Bike or Walk to Work (the gift of clean air benefits us all)
- Learn How to Say Hello in a New Language and Use Your New Phrase to Welcome People to Your Neighborhood
- Help a Teacher Get The Supplies They Need For Class
- Pay For Someone’s Shopping Cart At A Thrift Store
- After a Wedding or Party, Donate the Flowers to a Nursing Home
- Listen. Don’t Interrupt.
- Take Five Minutes to Send Cards to Sick Children Who are Fighting Serious Illnesses and Want to Receive Mail. Send mail to Cards for Hospitalized Kids, which delivers the cards to children in US hospitals.
- Compliment Someone
These are just a few ideas to get you started but let’s all spread some good around the world on Random Acts of Kindness Day this year! Share with us your kind deed!
“When the well runs dry I’m gonna be there for you
cause if everyone helps someone there’s so much we can do.
If you wanna make the world a better place
you gotta stand up, speak out and today, make a change.”
Make A Change © Up with People
Questions? Click Here To Contact Up with People.
Topics: "On The Road"
Up with People is a global education organization which aims to bring the world together through service and music. The unique combination of international travel, service learning, leadership development and performing arts offers young adults an unparalleled study abroad experience and a pathway to make a difference in the world, one community at a time. Click here to learn more about the internationally acclaimed program, Up with People.