We’re going places. Shouldn’t you? Your journey to something great starts here.
TRAVEL with Purpose
PERFORM for Thousands
IMPACT the World
Up with People is a one of a kind global education program that takes young people on an international journey of discovery. By using music and social action to unite and inspire communities, we spark others to think more broadly about their world and forge connections among diverse cultures. Since 1965 we have been empowering young people to act as global citizens and discover their ability for making a positive impact on the world.
If you are looking for a meaningful international gap year or study abroad experience, you can become a part of our unique community of change makers, informed global leaders, and confident performers. Join our 52-year tradition of bridging cultural barriers and creating global understanding while traveling the world, performing in a high-energy musical show, and impacting communities through service and action.
Our core program is built on four main components:
- International Travel & Cultural Immersion
- Community Action
- Performing Arts
- Experiential Education & Professional Development
Our education component centers around a robust curriculum that will help you develop and enhance the skills necessary to be successful in today’s increasingly complex world.
The Up with People Touring Experience
Young adults from all parts of the world are invited to travel abroad with Up with People for one or two semesters. Each international tour embarks with nearly 100 participants, ages 17 – 29, from more than 15 countries. Each group, referred to as a “cast”, travels to nearly 20 communities across a minimum of two continents each semester, typically spending one week in each city or town.
During each city visit cast members live with a local host family, volunteer 8 – 12 hours through our community action service projects, participate in 4 – 6 hours of educational workshops, and perform in Up with People’s two-hour professionally produced musical stage production.
Programs begin in January or July of each year; you can apply for either a one or two-semester tour.
Up with People also offers you the ability to earn academic credit while on tour.
The Up with People Difference
The amount of choices for young people today is overwhelming. That is why Up with People has developed a multi-faceted international program that is truly unparalleled, and will help you get the most out of your gap year or study abroad education!
- See More of the World. Our program offers an incomparable travel experience that will take you to 8 – 10 countries on at least two continents in a single semester.
- Cultural Immersion from Day One. You will be immersed in an intercultural experience each and every day, learning not only from the places and people you visit and meet, but from your fellow cast members who represent up to 14 different countries.
- Maximizing Impact through Social Impact. Our community action or volunteer work happens side by side with local community members. We learn how to identify, understand, and act on the unique needs of each city we visit and strive to leave a lasting impact long after we leave each city.
- Enrichment through Performing Arts. While you don’t need to have any performing experience to join our program, each cast member participates in all areas of our musical show, both onstage and off. The skills you learn from performing can be applied to almost any career.
- Experiential Education at its Best. In Up with People, we learn by doing, putting the lessons from our robust curriculum into practice in communities worldwide. In doing so, we help you evolve as global citizens and empathetic leaders that are prepared to handle anything life brings your way
- Life Long Impact. Your Up with People experience continues long after you leave your tour. Not only will you leave your mark on communities in many countries, you will go out into the world with a new perspective as a global citizen, and join a powerful network of 22,000 plus alumni worldwide, many of whom continue to live the Up with People mission.
Let’s go places! Contact us to get more information today.