Up with People and IPSL have partnered to offer many opportunities for Up with People Alumni, including a college degree, a minor in service-learning, scholarships for undergraduate or graduate study, a study abroad experience at a reduced rate, or a graduate degree!
- Receive a scholarship for College of Mount Saint Vincent
- College credit for your experience with Up with People
- Undergraduate Minor in Service-Learning
- Study abroad Scholarships for IPSL Programs
- Special scholarships for Up with People Alumni who apply and are accepted into the IDS program
IPSL is a study abroad and service-learning organization that is a founder and leader in international service-learning programs for college credit. IPSL offers undergraduate study abroad in 14 locations around the globe. In partnership with College of Mount Saint Vincent, IPSL offers a graduate degree in International Development and Service, where students study and serve in three different locations, including two locations abroad.
IPSL’s undergraduate and graduate programs focus on Service-Learning™, which unites academic learning with volunteer service in a host community. IPSL students examine and reflect on their international experiences in a way that deepens learning and engages in the missions of local community organizations, and promotes social, racial, and economic justice. The hands-on service also means that IPSL students gain highly valuable, transferable skills for their future employment.
Undergraduate Opportunities for Up with People Alumni
IPSL partners with College of Mount Saint Vincent to offer unique opportunities for Up with People Alumni. Up with People Alumni can attend College of Mount Saint Vincent for their undergraduate education and be eligible for the College’s specialized Dean’s Merit Scholarship Award, titled Up with People Dean’s Merit Scholarship.
Up with People Alumni who apply to a College of Mount Saint Vincent undergraduate program will automatically be considered for the Dean’s Merit Scholarship award. Applicants will also be eligible for the full range of the College’s supplemental merit and need based scholarships and aid.
- First-year Students – For qualified first-year undergraduate students who are Up with People Alumni and successfully enroll, the annual Dean’s Merit Scholarship awards will range from $16,000 – $20,000 for Resident students, and $11,000 – $15,000 for Commuter students.
- Transfer Students - For qualified transfer students who are Up with People Alumni and have completed some college-level coursework, either at a community college or at another college or university, the Dean’s Merit Scholarship awards for students who successfully enroll will range from $10,000 to $14,000 annually.
- Other Scholarships and Aid - First-year undergraduate students who do not qualify for the Dean’s Merit Scholarship awards may receive Incentive Scholarship Awards, such as the Catholic Incentive Award for students who have graduated from parochial high schools, or the Rising Scholar Award for students who have graduated from public high schools.
All students will be considered for need-based awards including the Alumni and Friends Scholarships, as well as institutional financial aid, federal and state student aid, and loans. Students can obtain free information and guidance from the Financial Aid Office at the College of Mount Saint Vincent at (718) 405-3289 or www.mountsaintvincent.edu/admission/financial-aid.
Experiential Learning Credits and Service Learning Minor
College of Mount Saint Vincent offers Up with People Alumni who enroll at the College eligibility to receive undergraduate college credits for their experiential learning during their Up with People program. This unique offer allows students to both accelerate their program of study and to participate in additional international service-learning programs offered through College of Mount Saint Vincent’s and IPSL’s collaboration.
Alumni of Up with People will be eligible for up to 15 transfer credits upon enrollment. Designed to recognize both academic and experiential achievements, all students who have participated in Up with People and enroll at College of Mount Saint Vincent undergraduate program will automatically be considered for credit.
Some of the transfer credits awarded can be applied towards CMSV’s minor in Service-Learning. Additional consideration for credits applicable to the CMSV undergraduate core curriculum requirements will be given to all students who enroll at College of Mount Saint Vincent.
IPSL Graduate Program in International Development and Service for Up with People Alumni
Up with People Alumni can continue their global learning with IPSL’s Graduate Program in International Development and Service. Students participate in service-learning for local community organizations throughout each semester of this program and spent two semesters in two different countries abroad. Over the course of this two-year program, students have studied at three different academic institutions with local faculty, experienced four different service placements, and studied in three different locations. Up with People Alumni who apply to the IPSL graduate program may qualify for:
- IPSL relocation assistance and/or
- IPSL flight scholarship(s)
- Waived application fee for the IDS program