Up with People (UWP), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, has been fostering hope and building human connections for over half a century. Known for its high-energy musical productions and connecting people for positive change UWP has provided a powerful and unique experience for more than 22,000 university-aged youth to understand the world. Our participants develop global leadership skills to become positive change agents inspiring millions through music and social action.
Building on this 57 year legacy, UWP is launching a bold new initiative to transform the program. We will extend the reach of the organization and ensure an even greater impact in the world with the creation and building of the UWP global movement for positive change. This enhanced initiative will serve greater numbers of youth through interaction with the UWP traveling program, camps, local youth programs, and through digital platforms. Our goal is to prepare new generations of global citizens and catalyze a movement to change the world for the better.
The UWP vision:
Creating an inclusive and sustainable world, where people are equal in dignity and rights.
We will be a movement by building a global community of lifelong changemakers, working to advance inclusivity, sustainability, and human rights. We will use arts and dialogue to promote positive change.
The UWP Board of Directors is now launching a search for a new Chief Executive Officer (CEO), to take the reins and lead the organization as it builds out its new programs and steps boldly into the future. Diversity and inclusion are core values of Up with People and we believe this starts from the top.
We seek a charismatic leader with an entrepreneurial mindset and demonstrated business acumen, who is in touch with youth perspectives and has a proven record of leadership and innovation.
Key Responsibilities of the Role
- Build a diverse, high-performance team that will design, develop, and execute an innovative strategic plan to bring to life the new UWP Vision.
- Provide oversight to ensure all segments of the organization are aligned with strategic goals and effectively executed.
- Spearhead the development of comprehensive marketing strategies, build and enhance revenue from major donors, foundations, and corporations, and achieve sales and admissions goals.
- Ensure that the flow of funds permits Up with People to make continuous progress towards the achievement of its mission.
- Build an organizational culture that is consistent with UWP’s mission, promotes diversity, inclusion, integrity, and ethical values encourages staff development and accountability, and supports the achievement of strategic and operational objectives.
- In collaboration with the senior staff, develop and successfully execute a comprehensive annual plan and budget inclusive of goals and accountabilities for performance and growth.
- Serve as a strong public representative to communicate the mission and vision for UWP.
- Help to build a diverse and inclusive Board of Directors that is highly engaged and willing to support, engage constituents, and secure resources.
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact goals.
Key Qualifications and Skills
- Must have an inspiring, charismatic, and positive spirit. We seek persons with a growth mindset and a bias for action.
- Strategic vision and agility – you think strategically, identify changing external realities, and adapt the organizational plan in a timely manner.
- A social entrepreneurial personality with good business acumen.
- An engaging people manager with high energy willing to go the extra mile.
- Significant fundraising, marketing/branding, fiscal management, and board development experience.
- A financially savvy and politically astute leader with the ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and guide investment in people and systems; you have keen analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills.
- An excellent coalition and partnership-building skills set with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including our 22,000 passionate alumni.
- A facilitator able to achieve consensus amongst differing opinions.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills and the experience and proclivity to be an outgoing spokesperson, relationship builder, and fundraiser.
- Strong commitment to the professional development of staff; successful track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team.
- Experience in the goal setting and review process for direct reports and a history of growing the capacities and skills of those within an organization.
- 5+ years overall professional experience and prior nonprofit experience ideal; management of a global or multi-site organization preferred.
- Minimum of a BA, with an advanced degree or equivalent experience desired.
This information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications.
Up with People is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer.
Pay Range: $140,000-180,000
Up with People intends to offer the selected candidate base pay within this range, dependent on job-related, non-discriminatory factors such as experience.
Up with People’s headquarters are in Denver, CO. The company is currently operating in a remote work model since the onset of the pandemic.
Please send CV or Resume and Cover Letter describing your interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the position please contact our Board Chairman, Robert Cygnaeus at email@example.com